Theme & Variations are once again proud to support our young pianists as the 2013 SHIPC kicks off.
(Left: Thank you letter from Tony Lee, winner of the 2013 Lev Vlassenko Piano Competition)
The piano keys are warming up as we come closer to the launch of the 2013 Southern Highlands International Piano Competition.
Conceived in 2005, the SHIPC was established to provide a significant performance opportunity for qualified pianists to perform and associate with artists of first class calibre from around the world, and to bring to the Southern Highlands region a professional and memorable experience of classical piano performances.
One particularly exciting change for this years competition is the competitions new Artistic Director, Gerard Willems AM, who is well known as one of Australia’s finest concert pianists and leading Beethoven scholars.
Theme & Variations Piano Services are once again delighted to be supporting the competition by providing pianos for the participants. We’ll be moving a whole fleet of pianos from Sydney down to the Southern Highlands to be used as practice pianos for the duration of the competition, and of course, the magnificent Steinway & Sons Concert Grand D-274 will be ever ready on stage to help the performers deliver their very best.
Our head concert technician Ara Vartoukian will once again be joining the contestants as he prepares and maintains all of the pianos used throughout the competition.
The 2013 competition dates are:
- HEATS: Chevalier College BOWRAL ( enter via Charlotte Street) – Tuesday 1 – Friday 4 October 2013.
- Heats – 1st Round. Tuesday, Oct 1st. 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:30pm
- Heats – 1st Round. Wednesday, Oct 2nd. 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:30pm
- Heats – 2nd Round. Thursday, October 3rd. 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:30pm
- Heats – 2nd Round. Friday, October 4th. 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:30pm
Each competitor will play one 20 minute session on day one or two of the heats, and a further 20 minute session on day three or four of the heats.
NOTE: No competitors will be eliminated until the evening of Friday 4th of October. There will be three sessions per day; mid morning, early afternoon and early evening. Exact times will be advised shortly.
- MASTERCLASS: Saturday 5, October 2013. This session will commence at 2pm. FREE
- SEMI-FINALS: Sunday, October 6th. 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:30pm
There will be 6 semi finalists performing over three sessions on Sunday; late morning, early afternoon and early evening. Exact times will be advised shortly. At the end of the evening session the three finalists will be announced.
- FINALS Saturday 12 October @ 3pm – Llewellyn Hall CANBERRA with the Canberra Symphony Orchestra.
If you’d like more information on the SHIPC, you can find it by visiting shipc.org.au